CNN makes skillful use of natural sound in this story from South Korea. The reporter explains the video but does not force the emotions upon the viewer in her audio tracks.
- What were the most important sounds in this story?
- How did the marching sounds, the footsteps, tell you that the whole scene was solemn and respectful?
- How important were the crying sounds?
- What did you notice about how the journalists did or did not mention the crying police officer?
- If you had to cut 15 seconds from this story where would you start, with the narration or the natural sound? Why?
Paul Hunter of Canada’s CBC tells the powerful story of a makeshift hospital in Haiti after the earthquake there in 2010. The video is graphic and unforgettable. http://www.cbc.ca/news/makeshift-hospital-1.912347